‘Devastated and heartbroken’: NYC power outage cancels Broadway shows, Jennifer Lopez concert

Broadway shows and a sold-out Jennifer Lopez concert at Madison Square Garden came to a halt Saturday night as a massive power outage left more than 61,000 Manhattan customers in the dark.

Between Midtown and the Upper West Side — including much of New York City’s bustling theatre district — dozens of shows and plays were forced to cancel and evacuate their buildings.

MANHATTAN TRANSFORMER FIRE KNOCKS OUT POWER TO THOUSANDS IN MIDTOWN, UPPER WEST SIDE

Fox News correspondent Bryan Llenas, who was celebrating his birthday by attending Lopez’s concert at Madison Square Garden, said “we were about three songs in, the party was just getting started and at about 9:25 the floodlights essentially came on, the power went out, and an announcement went out over the intercom, the speaker, saying that this was the building engineer and that as a precaution we need everybody to evacuate the building.”

The power outage caused the so-called “World’s Most Famous Arena” to be evacuated, with the estimated 19,000 audience members walking down service escalators to exit the building

Lopez, who was performing for the second night in New York as part of her “It’s My Party” tour tweeted: “Devastated and heartbroken that I can’t perform for all of you tonight. We will make this up to you. I promise! I love you!!”

Dozens of theatergoers lamented their show cancellations on social media.

The Saturday night showing of “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child” was canceled at the midway point.

One Twitter user said, “They just canceled [the] second part of Harry Potter on Broadway due to power issues– tickets will be refunded….”

Others joked about the cancellation, “Harry Potter and the Cursed Electrical Grid.”

Another Twitter user complained that she “came all the way from Philadelphia” to see the comedian Dave Chappelle perform standup on Broadway “but thanks to the #blackout show was canceled.”

Performers of shows such as “Hadestown” and “Hamilton” took their shows outside and began performing in the streets of New York in an attempt to appease the disappointed masses.

But for one Broadway play, the show went on as the theater hosting the Tony-nominated show “Burn This,” continued despite the power outage.

Fox News foreign desk director Greg Headen was settling in for a movie at an AMC theater on the Upper West Side when the power went out and staff members called for everyone to evacuate.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

“The movie hadn’t started yet. Everything went black. AC went off. Everything just shut down and complete pitch dark,” Headen said. “We were on the lower theatre which is actually underground and it was strange.”

New York high school grad with autism honored with ‘silent ovation’

The silence was golden at a high school graduation ceremony in New York last week as classmates gave a student with autism and noise sensitivity a silent ovation.

Students barely touched their palms together in largely inaudible claps with hushed enthusiasm for their classmate Jack Higgins, who held his fingers to his ears as he walked on stage to accept his diploma from Carmel High School in Putnam County, N.Y., anticipating raucous cheers.

Instead, his classmates stood quietly and allowed him to enjoy his moment in silence.

POLICE COME TO THE RESCUE AFTER BOY WITH AUTISM CALLS 911 TO REPORT LOST TEDDY BEAR

Lou Riolo, the principal of the high school, told Fox News on Thursday that originally, Higgins’ parents, Barbara and Pat, requested that their son participate in graduation alongside his special education teacher, Erin Appelle.

“Erin brought it to me,” Riolo said. “Knowing Jack is Autistic and nonverbal and is hypersensitive to loud sounds and crowds at times there were some concerns.”

He said Appelle had planned with aides to set up a practice in an auditorium.

“After thinking on it for a few days, I came up with the idea of asking the entire auditorium to stay silent so that Jack could receive his diploma,” the principal said. “We planned on doing it immediately after the singing of the National Anthem because we knew Jack sitting there with all the commotion for over 45 minutes would be too much.”

Riolo, a Carmel alum who taught for 26 years and has been a principal for five years, said he initially ran the plan past a few other school faculty members, all of whom were supportive.

“I did run it past our Assistant Principal Mr. John Fink because he would be honest if he thought it was as I called it ‘Shooting the moon.’  He loved it.  I also informed our [superintendent] Mr. Andy Irvin and before I finished his answer was ‘I love it, let’s do it!’  I met with Barbara and Pat, Jack’s parents, and they thought it was a great idea,” Riolo said.

He added that despite the possibility that Higgins would become overwhelmed if the auditorium got too loud, they decided to try anyway, saying he trusted his students to try their best to make the situation comfortable for their classmate.

“I know my school my students and community,” Riolo said. “They always step up.”

Riolo said he couldn’t be prouder of his students.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

“Their actions of standing up in honor of their classmate was their idea. It was not rehearsed.  It was genuine,” he said, adding that he was “not surprised but in awe of their caring.”

Higgins parents were “ecstatic and overcome with happiness for their son,” who is set to attend Ability Beyond in Chappaqua, N.Y., a program tailored to students with disabilities.

Missouri’s lone abortion clinic loses license to perform procedure

Planned Parenthood in Missouri, the only abortion clinic in the state, lost its license on Friday to perform the procedure, but a judge has ordered the clinic remain open and will allow it to continue performing abortions until a final ruling has been reached.

Republican Gov. Mike Parson, who banned all abortions after eight weeks of pregnancy — the only exception involves health complications, not rape or incest — said in a statement the clinic had “failed to meet basic standards of care, placed multiple patients in life-threatening situations, performed multiple failed abortions where patients remained pregnant, and intentionally impeded the state’s health investigation by not allowing health inspectors to talk to the abortion doctors.”

PLANNED PARENTHOOD PLANS TO DEFY MISSOURI LAW, ENDANGERING STATE’S LAST ABORTION CLINIC, REPORT SAYS

Earlier this month, anti-abortion advocates gather outside the Planned Parenthood clinic in St. Louis. Missouri's only abortion clinic. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson, File)

Earlier this month, anti-abortion advocates gather outside the Planned Parenthood clinic in St. Louis. Missouri’s only abortion clinic. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson, File)

The Missouri health department notified Planned Parenthood the license would not be renewed because it had failed to correct 30 deficiencies identified by the department during inspections, Dr. Randall Williams, director of the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, said at a press conference.

Additionally, health department investigators said the clinic was responsible for three “failed abortions” requiring additional surgeries and a fourth that led to life-threatening complications for the mother, The Associated Press reported this week, citing a now-sealed court filing.

The state agency allowed the clinic’s license to lapse as of June 1, but St. Louis Circuit Judge Michael Stelzer said the health department had to make a definitive decision on whether or not the license would be renewed on Friday.

M’Evie Mead, director of Planned Parenthood Advocates in Missouri claims the licensing battle is just an excuse for the conservative state government to impede on abortion rights in Missouri, one of the states across the nation flirting with the legislation that will force the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

The health department’s restrictions on Planned Parenthood makes Missouri the first state since 1974, the year after the court’s landmark ruling, without a functioning abortion clinic if it does close.

The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

Machete-wielding 11-year-old foils North Carolina home invasion

An 11-year-old boy in North Carolina struck an intruder in the back of the head with a machete to foil a home invasion on Friday, according to reports.

The boy, who was home alone, answered a knock on the front door and saw a woman standing there. Simultaneously, a man broke into the home through a window and used the homeowner’s pellet gun to force the child into a bedroom closet.

HOME ALONE: POLICE SAY 11-YEAR-OLD HIT INTRUDER WITH MACHETE

The boy escaped the closet and grabbed a machete, using it to strike the man in the head.

He reportedly kicked the child in the stomach but the boy did not give up, swinging again at him but missing. The man again kicked the boy, and began to grab several items, including a television and a PlayStation, but fled the home without the electronics when he realized he was bleeding, according to a news release from the Orange County Sherriff’s Office.

The woman and a second man provided the getaway vehicle for the three intruders and drove away.

Police responded to a 911 call after 11 a.m. when the break-in occurred, and alerted local hospitals to be on the lookout for someone with a head wound.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

When 19-year-old Jataveon Dashawn Hall, checked into UNC Hospital in Hillsborough, authorities were alerted. He’s due in court on Monday, facing charges of breaking and entering, second-degree kidnapping, interfering with emergency communications and assaulting on a child under 12 years old.

Additional charges are pending against Hall and the two other suspects.

Winning ticket for $344.6M Powerball jackpot sold in North Carolina

The lone winning ticket for Saturday night’s $344.6 million Powerball jackpot was purchased in North Carolina, lottery officials confirmed Sunday.

The lucky ticket was sold at Carlie C’s grocery store in Hope Mills, outside Fayetteville. It’s the only one that matched all six winning numbers exactly, with 6-15-34-45-52 and Powerball 8, according to the N.C. Education Lottery.

Carlie C’s is eligible to receive a $50,000 retailer incentive award for selling the winning ticket, according to the statement.

The winner, who has yet to come forward has 180 days to claim their prize money and can either receive their winnings as a lump sum of $223.3 million or in installments of an estimated $344.6 million over 30 payments.

NORTH CAROLINA MAN, RECENTLY DIAGNOSED WITH STAGE 4 CANCER, WINS $250,000 LOTTERY PRIZE

Saturday was the fifth time that a North Carolina ticket hit the Powerball jackpot and the seventh time the state has seen a winner of either the Powerball or Mega Millions jackpot.

“This is a life-changing event and we’re excited that someone in North Carolina won this jackpot,” said N.C. Education Lottery Executive Director Mark Michalko.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

“Our advice to the winner is to sign that ticket to establish your ownership of it and then secure it in a safe place. Then, take your time and put together a plan with the help of financial and legal advisers for how you would like to claim your prize.”

Click for more from Fox46Charlotte.com.